Friday, October 19, 2007

#16 What's in a wiki?

Up until this session I was very keen to set up a Blog for my branch of the library service where I work. However, since reading about Wikis I now lean towards the Wiki - well more than just the one. I really dig the community information wiki which I think would be a natural one for the library to do - particularly in the area where I work as there is a 'village' feel about the area although it is in the suburbs of Melbourne. I also like the idea of a Wiki for the public to use as an interface between the library and the people - where discussions, questions, book reviews, comments, etc. would flow through an open channel of communication. I like that it can be at the branch level as opposed to the regional level which targets a much wider audience. I particularly liked reading 'Using Wikis to Create Online Communities' and also Peter Blake's paper 'Using a Wiki for InformationServices: Principles and Practicalities' which would help one to avoid the pitfalls. I hope that in the not too distant future I can be involved in making a Wiki or two for my branch (this 'non-artistic' topic is much more appealing to me than earlier topics!)

No comments: